December 25, 2009

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/60
Av( Aperture Value ) 1.4
ISO Speed 400

A new nifty fifty

My hubby gave me this sweet 50mm 1.4 lens - among other very cool accessories, AND a tripod... finally... a tripod. Oh, I think I am going to have some fun with this lens. It is a very new experience to use a 50mm - the 1.4 f-stop on this makes for some very nice effects and allows for seriously shallow DoF - also makes shooting indoors much more possible without flash! It takes some getting used to - not having a zoom. Forces you to get in and around your subject via foot. I think this will help with my composition. I shot this through a dirty cloudy mirror, so it does not show off the tack sharp results you get with this lens, but I just wanted to show my new toy in a goofy self-portrait. Now it's time to get my Christmas graze on. Eat, drink, and be merry!

4 comments:

  1. Wow... I've always wanted a fast lens with 1.4 apperture. I have the 50mm f/1.8 and it's so hard to find focus in the dark.
    Congrats for your new gear... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend's favorite lens is his 50mm 1.4. It's a beauty. Amazing how quick of shutter speeds he can get indoors.

    And congrats on the tripod. I use a tripod for more shots than I shoot handheld :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a gorillapod this year, I can't wait to test it out. I have a 1970's tripod from my dad.

    Congrats on the lens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. f1.4 is fantastic. You'll have a lot of fun with this one. I like the photo.

    ReplyDelete