December 30, 2009

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/40
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
ISO Speed 1600

Got the shaft

Not sure - an output shaft from either a diesel engine, a hydraulic motor, don't know what the hell this thing is. I think it's a forklift part of some sort. I spent a few hours today walking around a forklift/crane shop. I was a kid in a candy store, and my camera was hungry; so many things to shoot - mechanical things, controls, pistons, gears - things I know nothing about.

I liked this particular object, and liked the way it converted to monochrome with a nice range of tones. Two days monochrome in a row... uh oh. Am I in a rut? Um, no, I think it's a shaft.

5 comments:

  1. I love machine parts - its great and the number on the side make it.

    Great Capture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this photo. I like the composistion, and you're right monochrome works great. Looking at your camera settings, it must have been dark in the room, so I think you did a fantastic job with those conditions.

    I've enjoyed following your blog at the end of this year. Keep up the great work, and I wish you well with all of the challenges of 2010.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although in general I try to keep my ISO at a minimum, I can definitely see some noise fitting right in with this photo. Love the composition and lighting; it looks almost like you shot it in a light box, because the background is so light.

    How do you convert to monochrome? Desaturate, Channel Mixer, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all... the high ISO was a total mistake. I had ISO set to "auto" and I was actually in a very industrial shop with lots of overhead flourescent (and fairly bright)lights. I think the ISO bumped up because I was so close to the object, and it may have been shadowed by myself and other objects next to it. I wish I had my 50mm lens here for a nice wide F-stop, but I had my stock lens. But yes, Andrew, I agree that the noisiness works with this particluar subject.

    And as for B/W conversion, Andrew, I use Lightroom where it's a matter of switching to "grayscale" and then from there I adjust contrast, exposures, blacks, fill lighting, etc. It's more or less a desaturation process. For this particular image, I didn't need to do much. It pretty much exposed itself! Turned out to be a fun shot. Thanks for the comments... Safe and Happy New Year everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like photographing just about anything with an industrial feel. This really fits the bill and I especially like it in mono. Good choice. You'll have to show us more from this shoot.

    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete