February 12, 2010

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/20
Av( Aperture Value ) 4.0
ISO Speed 100


A door in downtown

A little reflection for the weekend... Walking through downtown Toledo there are so many old buildings, so many have such great architectural character. Unfortunately, there is a suffering in Toledo's downtown - a lot of abandoned buildings, boarded up windows, and glimpses of urban decay.

I think that there are a lot of great photo opportunities with urban decay - images that evoke a feeling, an emotion or a story. Not every image has to be visually pleasing, and not every image has to tell a happy story. I do find urban images to be visually interesting with textures, colors, imperfections, and much like the human spirit, even old buildings go through their metamorphoses and transformations - sometimes falling victim to collapse and failure, and sometimes an incredible revival!

*This reflection is inspired by Weekend Reflections thanks to James at Newtown Area Photo. Click on the link to see other wonderful reflection shots!

11 comments:

  1. OK that's weird. We both posted a photo of Toledo's less-than-best side today! Your post is much more profound than mine, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame what happens with neglect. Your image is excellent and I'm betting would be ever more powerful in B&W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic shot! I would do an urban decay series, but there's not much of it around where I live. Too suburban.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! After looking at the enlarged photo, I was disappointed in the lack of sharpness. I think I may have tried to focus too hard on the actual reflection in the window, or it might have been careless camera shake. I do enjoy the character of the architecture, and the shapes and colors - each building, each door so much different than the next. I may focus on a series of downtown buildings - architecutre and decay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The decay seems to happen in cities all over, great reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this shot alot, the subdued colors and wintry "welcome mat". Great reflection of the building across the street, I like the contrast of the two very different styles. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a super-cool shot..love the vibe and atmosphere to it..spectacular!
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't worry, the shot came out just fine. You could have either focused on the door or the reflection. It's still a good shot. I love urban decay and abandonment photography. Do show us more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with everything you said. I like this shot. Even in color it has an old fashioned feel to it. I can't get enough of urban decay photos. I also like to photograph rural decay like old barns and silos etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yolanda, this is a great image. I like how you described it. The colors really stand out, and add a lot to the image. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete