February 25, 2010


A small milepost...

Today was my last treatment of chemotherapy. I had six of them - one per week. Today was the last. It is one small tick mark of many milestones in this journey to come.

The team of nurses who looked after me each Thursday for the past 6 weeks have been amazing, knowledgeable and supportive. They made me feel comfortable, and made my long days in the chair seem as if it were my own living room. I grew to love Thursdays. But it is over for now. Next week will end my first round of external beam radiation - only a few more radiation treatments to go! The radiation, however, is very difficult to tolerate - especially in these last weeks. I've spent the last few days feeling completely wiped out from the pain and discomfort of the cumulative side affects of radiation. I spent the past two days crying a lot. I need to get over it. I am at the end of this first thing, and I can see the light at the end of this tunnel, so I get tough, and push through. I don't have a choice!!! I will worry about the next course of 'internal' radiation when its time comes next month. But for now, ONE DAY AT A TIME, push through the pain and get through today.

I took this with my cell phone today - I guess it counts.. it was a milestone that needed to be shared regardless of the quality or the equipment. These posts are never my best work anyway, but certainly my most profound thoughts and feelings. So no exif data in tact ;) I will be back on track soon enough.

9 comments:

  1. Superb, for a cell phone shot! Not long ago, I wouldn't have understood the way to make the light behave like that in the photo regardless of the camera I had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your picture is a very powerful image.
    Congrats on the completion of the first leg of your journey. I wish you all the best in the future. You are wise to handle it the way you do. One day at a time.
    Early in our marriage my wife had cancer and she was in terrible pain after surgery. I told her that one day she will be able to run around or do whatever without pain and her pain will be a distant memory. A few years later I reminded her and she was amazed by how far away those bad days seemed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It so does count. Its very powerful and evokes an emotion within me. You've got a great attitude.....one day at a time is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Yolanda... very powerful image that goes deep. You're a good example of perseverance and you do have a great attitude. One day at a time is good for all of us (Matthew 6:34). Congratulations on your milestone with the chemo. You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your encouragement. I'm feeling a little better today. And also to report that in general I responded well to the chemo - never got sick, and didn't lose a hair on my head!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Character gets you out of bed; commitment moves you to action. Faith, hope, and discipline Enable you to follow through to completion" ~Zig Ziglar

    "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense."
    –– Ralph Waldo Emerson


    Congrats! Cell phone or an expensive camera I think this is a great shot. It brought tears to my eyes. I admire your strength and positive attitude. I love quotes, so I included two that I believe suit you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course it counts! Woo on getting to this point! You will come through this stronger than ever - think of steel that must be tempered in fire to become strong and invincible!

    And CONGRATULATIONS on getting on "the wall" over on Monochrome Weekly! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to echo the sentiments of the others. Congratulations for making it through phase 1. I'm sure you will deal with the next phase with the same class and character that got you through this bout. One more thing. This photo blogging isn't always about having the most expensive camera. Some of the pictures that really grab the eye (and heart) are taken with some pretty simple equipment. Hang in there and we'll all be right here waiting to see how the saga continues.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is one of the most emotional photos and post I've read in a while.... thank you for sharing your journey with us.

    Ditto to all the above comments~
    you inspire me~

    ReplyDelete