February 10, 2010

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/80
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
ISO Speed 200

Finding your way

The Inukshuk means “likeness of a person”. In the northern parts of Canada and the arctic, there are not many natural landmarks, therefore, the Inuit people made these inuksuit for directional markers to trails, food caches, hunting grounds, and nearby settlements. I have seen many of these throughout the wilderness of Canada – I’ve even built one or two. The inukshuk embodies the spirit and persistence of the Inuit and represent strength, leadership and motivation.

Feeling as though I’m in the arctic myself, I thought it would be fun to photograph this decorative inukshuk. I took some time to experiment with light and white balance for this indoor shot. This little guy didn’t lead me anywhere today, but the symbol of strength will continue to inspire me!

(Photo below was taken in Yoho National Park in Canada on the Iceline Trail in September, 2009) The quality is poor, I did not post the original image.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. I would imagine a number of northwest hikers have probably run across these on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Are they just stacked, or are these ones somehow glued?

    The lighting and white-balance look spot on to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is cool! The shot came out really well - getting lighting right indoors is tricky for me - you did a great job! (p.s. - I left you a comment on Andrew's blog as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The decorative one that I photographed is glued - it's just a very small object. The real ones, however, use very big rocks that use gravity to stay in place - a very primitive art form.

    Don, I've not seen too many in the NW - here and there in a rocky area like a river bed, but on a smaller scale.

    ReplyDelete