Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/800Av( Aperture Value ) 3.5
ISO Speed 1600
A "Cheater's HDR" Experiment
I did not shoot today - it was another one of those gray, snowy days, and I had a procedure done to put a semi-permanent line in my arm - which has been a bit tender all day and I'm well aware of its presence.
I thought today would be a good day to sit on the couch and work on some post production skills. I read this great article from Digital Photography School (DPS) about creating an 'HDR' like image using one RAW file using Lightroom. I practiced this exercise on several of my photographs that might benefit from a high dynamic range treatment. I went with this shot - the before shot (see below) was VERY overexposed in the waterfall area. Also, if you look at my exif data above - it's a bit off. Not sure why ISO was set so high. It may have had to do with me being new to my camera at the time this was shot.
Anyway, I like the result of this treatment using Lightroom. While it's not true
HDR, it does give it a nice depth and effect. I really want to try traditional HDR - I have not experimented with it yet, but when the weather gets more tolerable, there will be more of an opportunity to spend some time learning HDR. Meanwhile, today's exercise allowed me to sharpen my skills in Lightroom as well.This shot was taken at Eagle Creek area of the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon. It's downstream of the lower punch-bowl falls (taken this past August). One of my favorite places to hike!

It's a great shot! I seem to get into this creative rut when I try to shoot HDR, because since I can't shoot RAW, I have to do some planning in advance to get 3 exposures. Consequently, I've noticed that my HDRs seem to not have very good composition, etc. I tend to be in a hurry to get the exposures and try the PP.
ReplyDeleteAnd then I suck at HDR PP anyway. Lol.
I love waterfalls! Looks like a beautiful spot. Much better than NW Ohio in February!
ReplyDeleteI want to learn HDR too - maybe we can learn together!
I'm putting off working with HDR as long as I'm still using a D40. When I step up to the D90 then I'll give it a whirl. I do like what it did to your shot though. While not a true HDR, it did improve the look. Keep practicing.
ReplyDeletePS: Better day tomorrow!
Wow! What a difference! I think it looks great!
ReplyDeleteHope you are hanging in there!!!
You're inspiring me to get serious with my camera. Lot's of features to tinker with. The after photo is outstanding.
ReplyDelete