January 3, 2010

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/800
Av( Aperture Value ) 4.5
ISO Speed 200


"The Finger"

There was a beautiful tree in the yard - at one time it was beautiful, I remember. I looked out the window the other day and asked why this tree had been reduced to this tall... stump... is this a stump? Why wasn't it cut down like stumps generally are? I mean, if someone had gone through all the trouble to cut off the branches and get it down with this much left, why not go all the way?

Then I got the story... Tim explained that he was actually the owner of the tree and was responsible for the unfinished stump. The neighbor, who shares the view of this tree sent a letter to him a few months ago expressing concern that the tree was dying, and some of the neighborhood kids could get hurt. (Really? Does this happen? Do branches spontaneously fall on people?) Tim and some friends with a chainsaw (and some beer) started cutting branches off the tree to comply with the neighbor's concern and request to cut it. They decided that it would be fun to leave a very tall message instead of cutting it down to the ground. The neighbor is now greeted with a nice big "finger" each day.

The stump will eventually be removed, but for now, it's just known as "the finger." I had a good chuckle over it and made it my photo story for today. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Heh. Funny story :) Interesting that you got that kind of a DoF with only f/4.5 I wonder how it would look with a wider aperture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...love the picture and the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story & picture! I would leave the tree there, just because I'm a smartass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Yolanda — I'm new to your blog, my mother-in-law sent me the link. I met my husband's cousin Tim last winter in Boston, I really enjoyed the time that we spent with him and now I like him even more after hearing your stories and seeing this picture! :) we have a lot in common and I'm looking forward to following your journey. take care...

    ReplyDelete