January 30, 2010

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/1600
Av( Aperture Value ) 4.5
ISO Speed 100

Toledo Ice Yacht Club

I suffered for my shots today. The bitter cold on the frozen Lake Erie - It was a wonderful day for ice boating if you could stand to be exposed for minutes at a time. This sport is not for the wimpy or the faint of heart. These ice boats move fast, and so does the cold wind in your face. My hands and lenses could only be out for just a few minutes at a time, but admittedly, it was fun to shoot these amazing ice boats. Tim and Jeff in this shot pushing off for a fast run.

Ice boating is a hundred-year-old tradition on Lake Erie (and other great lakes). There are not many times during the year that the ice is in the right condition to sail, so the ice boating is a very rare and short-lived winter sport.



4 comments:

  1. OK, now that's just crazy. The wind was bitter cold in the Kroger parking lot today - I cannot imagine being out on Lake Erie!

    Great shots today - both these and the monochrome ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even heard of ice boating. That looks like a lot of fun actually. But great shots—they look like magazine covers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the light in these photos. They are very good. I've been thinking about buying photographer's gloves. Supposedly the help keep your fingers warm without restricting feeling or movement.

    ReplyDelete